We rely on your donations to cover the costs of operating Hope Village! Make a one-time or recurring donation below!
DHAF is an independent non-profit organization that is registered as 501(c)(3) charitable organization in the United States. All donations to the Dr. Hawa Abdi Foundation are tax-deductible, as relevant local laws allow.
$40 pays for
a month's worth of school supplies for our primary and high schools.
$300 pays for
a nurse to provide vaccinations and emergency care for thousands of patients every month.
$1000 PAYs for
a month of a doctor's salary in Hope Village.
We are happy to accept in-kind donations. All medical equipment and supplies will be used on our medical missions or donated to clinics in need. In addition to medical donations, we will gladly accept physical donations of all types, both large and small. Some examples include but are not limited to cars, real estate, computers, furniture and televisions.
In the event we are unable to use your donation for one of our projects, we will resell it and put the proceeds towards one of our projects.
If you are interested making a donation of this type, please contact us at email@example.com and a member of our team will get back to you.
volunteer with dhaf
Over the years, volunteers and staffers from around the world have contributed the care we provide to the thousands of people in the Hawa Abdi Village. Our volunteer program aims to continue that legacy, and we welcome applicants to assist our current programs:
- Waqaf-Dhiblawe Primary School and the Hawa Abdi High School, which together provide education for more than 800 students.
- Dr. Hawa Abdi General Hospital, which receives hundreds of patients each month and is the only source of free healthcare in a 60 km radius.
Role of the Volunteer:
The job and responsibilities will depend on the applicant’s interests and skill, and responsibilities will be assessed upon application. Some examples of tasks include:
- Host reading sessions at the library to engage our students and develop a reading culture.
- Conduct English training sessions with existing staffers.
- Assist with daily operations at the Dr. Hawa Abdi General Hospital, in our maternity and pediatric departments (medical background required).
- Take pictures and videos for DHAF to use in educational and promotional efforts.
- Due to the current security circumstances of Somalia, we are only accepting volunteers from the Somali Diaspora.
- Your passion, enthusiasm, respect, and creativity!
Information for Volunteers:
- Prior to departure, volunteers will be given a web-based orientation related to health, culture, security and much more, which enhances their experience while they stay with us.
- Airport Pick Up: After receiving volunteer’s flight itinerary, staff will be sent to welcome the volunteer in Mogadishu.
- Upon arrival, DHAF staffers will guide the volunteer through local culture and the Foundation’s code of conduct. We will also address any concerns the volunteer may have in order to ensure he/she may have the best experience.
- Accommodation: We will provide a secure place to stay in the Hawa Abdi Village, daily food and drinks, as well as 24/7 staff support. We will also provide any necessary reference documents that would help the volunteer’s stay with us.
*Please note that DHAF will not cover round-trip flight tickets.
To Apply: please send your resume and brief statement of interest/cover letter addressed to Mohamed Elmi at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Photos: AU UN IST Photo, Tobin Jones