Volunteer with DHAF!
Over the years, volunteers and staffers from around the world have contributed the care we provide to the thousands of people in the Hawa Abdi Village. Our volunteer program aims to continue that legacy, and we welcome applicants to assist our current programs:
- Waqaf-Dhiblawe Primary School provides education for over 300 students at the primary school level.
- Daycare Centre educates children under 5 and runs a nutritious breakfast & lunch feeding program.
- Women Education Center provides adult women with life skills, literacy programs, and health education on Female Genital Mutilation.
- Dr. Hawa Abdi General Hospital the 400-bed hospital receives nearly thousands of patients each month, as the only source of free healthcare in a 60km radius.
Role of the Volunteer
The job and responsibilities will depend on the applicant’s interests and skill, and responsibilities will be assessed upon application. Some examples of tasks include:
- Host reading sessions at the library to engage our students and develop a reading culture.
- Conduct English training sessions with existing staffers.
- Assist with daily operations at the Dr. Hawa Abdi General Hospital, in our maternity and pediatric departments (medical background required).
- Assist with daily lessons at Women’s Education Center.
- Due to the current security circumstances of Somalia, we are only accepting volunteers from the Somali Diaspora.
- Your passion, enthusiasm, respect, and creativity!
Information for Volunteers
- Prior to departure, volunteers will be given a web-based orientation related to health, culture, security and many more, which enhances their experience while they stay with us.
- Airport Pick Up: After receiving volunteer’s flight itinerary, staff will be sent to welcome the volunteer in Mogadishu.
- Upon arrival, DHAF staffers will guide the volunteer through local culture and the Foundation’s code of conduct. We will also address any concerns the volunteer may have in order he/she may have the best experience.
- Accommodation: we will provide a secure place to stay in the Hawa Abdi Village, daily food and drinks, as well as 24/7 staff support. We will also provide any necessary reference documents that would help the volunteer’s stay with us.
Please note that the volunteer program will not cover round-trip flight tickets.
To Apply: please send your resume and brief statement of interest/cover letter addressed to Mohamed Elmi at email@example.com, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.