DonateYour generosity can help save lives. Find out more...
Purchase Mama Hawa’s Memoir: Keeping Hope Alive
The moving memoir, Keeping Hope Alive: One Woman--90,000 Lives Changed, chronicles Dr. Hawa and her daughters' inspiring work to keep 90,000 of her fellow citizens safe, healthy, and educated for over 20 years in Somalia.
- Hawa Abdi: Saving thousands in Somalia
- Keeping Hope Alive: How one brave woman saved thousands
- “Mother Teresa of Somalia” Hawa Abdi and Daughter Deqo Mohamed on Healing Decades of War, Tragedy
- Vital Voices Global Leadership Awards
- Mama Hawa Spring 2013 Book Tour
- A Bright New Year
- Appeal to Keep the Hawa Abdi Hospital Open
- Our Vital Voices Friendship
- Support from Our Friends
- Newsletter and a Warm Wish to Our Donors this Holiday Season
- Camp Resettlement Operation
- Waqaf-Dhiblawe School now in session
- Black Girls Rock! ’12: Social Humanitarian Award
- Deqo Mohamed at Black Girls Rock!
- The Daily Beast: Somalia’s Fierce Daughter
- John Jay Justice Award 2012: Dedication to Dr. Hawa Abdi
- Congratulations to the European Union
- Dr. Hawa Abdi receives the 2012 John Jay Medal for Justice
- Dr. Hawa and her daughters receive the 2012 Social Humanitarian Award from Black Girls Rock!
- Congratulations to Ms. Hawa Aden Mohamed
Category Archives: News
The Dr. Hawa Abdi Foundation is currently in the midst of returning tens of thousands of refugees to their homes and is once again in need of your support! Over the last summer, tens of thousands of IDPs under the … Continue reading
The Doctor Hawa Abdi Foundation is very pleased to announce that the Waqaf-Dhiblawe Primary School was finally able to open its doors for a new academic year last Saturday (which are Mondays in Somalia!). This is a school that is entering its … Continue reading
Watch Dr. Deqo Mohamed’s acceptance speech for the Social Humanitarian Award on behalf of herself, sister, and mother, Dr. Hawa Abdi.
Be sure to tune in to BET this coming Sunday at 7pm EST for the broadcast of the Black Girls Rock award. Our very own Dr. Deqo Mohamed will be appearing at this amazing event to receive BET’s 2012 Social … Continue reading
Read all about Dr. Deqo Mohamed’s extraordinary experiences in Somalia’s Fierce Daughter by Abigail Pesta on The Daily Beast.
Thank you to the John Jay College of Criminal Justice for putting together this moving video about Dr. Hawa!
The Dr. Hawa Abdi Foundation would like to congratulate the European Union for receiving the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize. Since its inception, the European Union has sustained peace in its member states and has generously helped impact positive changes in … Continue reading
Dr. Hawa is honoured to receive the 2012 John Jay Medal for Justice Tuesday night from the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. The John Jay College is a renowned academic institute focusing on criminal justice. This award recognizes Dr. … Continue reading
Dr. Hawa and her daughters Deqo and Amina are very grateful to receive the 2012 Social Humanitarian Award from Black Girls Rock! It was a fantastic night, and Deqo was thrilled to have the chance to share her stories with … Continue reading
September 22, 2012 The Dr. Hawa Abdi Foundation would like to extend its warmest congratulations to another powerful female leader in Somalia: Hawa Aden Mohamed, winner of the UNHCR Nansen Award. Since 1999, Ms. Mohamed has helped thousands of beleaguered … Continue reading