DonateYour generosity can help save lives. Find out more...
Purchase Mama Hawa’s Memoir: Keeping Hope Alive
The moving memoir, Keeping Hope Alive: One Woman--90,000 Lives Changed, chronicles Dr. Hawa and her daughters' inspiring work to keep 90,000 of her fellow citizens safe, healthy, and educated for over 20 years in Somalia.
- Emergency Appeal
- Book Tour Wrap-up
- McClung’s Magazine
- Waaberi Project
- Hawa Abdi: Saving thousands in Somalia
- Keeping Hope Alive: How one brave woman saved thousands
- “Mother Teresa of Somalia” Hawa Abdi and Daughter Deqo Mohamed on Healing Decades of War, Tragedy
- Vital Voices Global Leadership Awards
- Mama Hawa Spring 2013 Book Tour
- A Bright New Year
- Appeal to Keep the Hawa Abdi Hospital Open
- Our Vital Voices Friendship
- Support from Our Friends
- Newsletter and a Warm Wish to Our Donors this Holiday Season
- Camp Resettlement Operation
- Waqaf-Dhiblawe School now in session
- Black Girls Rock! ’12: Social Humanitarian Award
- Deqo Mohamed at Black Girls Rock!
- The Daily Beast: Somalia’s Fierce Daughter
- John Jay Justice Award 2012: Dedication to Dr. Hawa Abdi
Category Archives: News
Appeal to Keep the Hawa Abdi Hospital Open
Our Vital Voices Friendship Vital Voices started working with Dr. Hawa in 2009, before the Dr. Hawa Abdi Foundation formally acquired its 501(c)(3) status. Before 2010, Vital Voices was the only 501 (c)(3) charitable organization in the USA that accepted … Continue reading
DHAF graciously thanks Nicholas Kristof at the New York Times and Sarah J. Robbins at the Woman in the World Foundation for their continued support and belief in our work. Nicholas Kristof has recommended DHAF in his annual holiday-giving guide, … Continue reading
Newsletter and a Warm Wish to Our Donors this Holiday Season Haven’t subscribed to our mailing list yet? Do so here: Subscribe to our mailing list
The Dr. Hawa Abdi Foundation is currently in the midst of returning tens of thousands of refugees to their homes and is once again in need of your support! Over the last summer, tens of thousands of IDPs under the … Continue reading
The Doctor Hawa Abdi Foundation is very pleased to announce that the Waqaf-Dhiblawe Primary School was finally able to open its doors for a new academic year last Saturday (which are Mondays in Somalia!). This is a school that is entering its … Continue reading
Watch Dr. Deqo Mohamed’s acceptance speech for the Social Humanitarian Award on behalf of herself, sister, and mother, Dr. Hawa Abdi.
Be sure to tune in to BET this coming Sunday at 7pm EST for the broadcast of the Black Girls Rock award. Our very own Dr. Deqo Mohamed will be appearing at this amazing event to receive BET’s 2012 Social … Continue reading
Read all about Dr. Deqo Mohamed’s extraordinary experiences in Somalia’s Fierce Daughter by Abigail Pesta on The Daily Beast.
Thank you to the John Jay College of Criminal Justice for putting together this moving video about Dr. Hawa!