DonateYour generosity can help save lives. Find out more...
Purchase Mama Hawa’s Memoir: Keeping Hope Alive
The moving memoir, Keeping Hope Alive: One Woman--90,000 Lives Changed, chronicles Dr. Hawa and her daughters' inspiring work to keep 90,000 of her fellow citizens safe, healthy, and educated for over 20 years in Somalia.
- Emergency Appeal
- Book Tour Wrap-up
- McClung’s Magazine
- Waaberi Project
- Hawa Abdi: Saving thousands in Somalia
- Keeping Hope Alive: How one brave woman saved thousands
- “Mother Teresa of Somalia” Hawa Abdi and Daughter Deqo Mohamed on Healing Decades of War, Tragedy
- Vital Voices Global Leadership Awards
- Mama Hawa Spring 2013 Book Tour
- A Bright New Year
- Appeal to Keep the Hawa Abdi Hospital Open
- Our Vital Voices Friendship
- Support from Our Friends
- Newsletter and a Warm Wish to Our Donors this Holiday Season
- Camp Resettlement Operation
- Waqaf-Dhiblawe School now in session
- Black Girls Rock! ’12: Social Humanitarian Award
- Deqo Mohamed at Black Girls Rock!
- The Daily Beast: Somalia’s Fierce Daughter
- John Jay Justice Award 2012: Dedication to Dr. Hawa Abdi
Category Archives: News
Last month, a group of militiamen attacked Dr. Hawa’s internally displaced persons camp. We are appealing now for you to help us repair the damages caused to her private property, worth $48,000USD, which was built to protect the most vulnerable … Continue reading
With Mama Hawa and her daughter Deqo’s return to Africa, the Doctor Hawa Abdi book tour has officially come to an end. After traveling all through the United States and Canada, Dr. Hawa is taking a well-deserved rest with the … Continue reading
DHAF’s Director of Education, Faisal Ahmad, discusses what he loves about working for DHAF, challenges and opportunities facing Somalia in the Spring issue of McClung’s Magazine. Read all about it here.
Thank you to the Waaberi Project for featuring Dr. Hawa’s work on their website. Read the article here. The Waaberi Project is created to change the negative perception of Somalia through creating a platform to promote, inform, and discuss the … Continue reading
Matthew Bannister interviews Dr. Hawa Abdi on BBC Outlook. Listen to the interview here: http://bbc.in/Z7Sm7t
Dr. Hawa Abdi and co-author Sarah J. Robbins of Keeping Hope Alive are featured on Canada’s most watched national morning program, Canada AM on CTV, interviewed by co-host Marci Ien. http://bit.ly/15qJptT
Dr. Hawa Abdi and Dr. Deqo Mohamed were featured on Democracy Now!, speaking to Amy Goodman and Aaron Maté on how to heal from and deal with violence in a touching two-part interview.
At the 2013 Vital Voices Global Leadership Awards, Dr. Hawa was honoured to receive the Fern Holland Award in recognition her crucial work in human rights and women empowerment. Thank you to Vital Voices for the continued support to the … Continue reading
Mama Hawa Spring 2013 Book Tour Mama Hawa’s moving memoir, Keeping Hope Alive: One Woman: 90,000 Lives Changed, hits the bookshelves on April 2nd, and she is touring North America this spring with her daughter Deqo and co-author Sarah J. … Continue reading